Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Taste of Life (Intro Post)

The first full week of classes at university saw this blogger on the go every single night.

On Sunday, my sister and I went to see a drag show, the local version of Drag Idol 2009. There were five contestants, including one drag king. Some were better than others. The judges dressed up too and, honestly, it took me awhile to be certain that they were all guys. Shows how much gender is determined by the way we dress, talk and move.

Monday I started judo on campus. That was intense. I was pretty sore the next day. After class, the instructor (sensei) invited us to go run 5km around campus. No thanks. Maybe later in the term when I'm more in shape.

Tuesday night there was a mayoral debate televised life to the city. Since it was held so close to where I live, I decided to check it out. That was cool, especially since one of the candidates is most well-known in this province for fronting a rather large and rather popular reggae band.

On Wednesday, I headed over to Yuk Yuk's for some stand-up comedy. The guy who set up our phone told us that he'd be performing that night. The comics ranged from hilarious to okay, with the MC making excuses for one of the newbies obvious case of nerves.

Thursday was back to judo. We learned quite a few holds and switched up partners, as well as bowing to the picture of ... some guy. Not sure who he is, but we do it every time. The class was still intense, but I could walk without wincing the next day.

Friday brought four of us out to a performance of Tuesdays with Morrie at the theatre. Excellent acting, especially for a two-man show. It lasted about two and a half hours and never dropped the audience once. The only downside was the little glowing light next to me the whole time. The woman beside me couldn't stop texting from her cellphone.

I find it funny that some people say there's nothing to do in this town.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you were busy :P *glomps*

    Oh and... PICS FROM DRAGSHOW PLOX? XD

    ReplyDelete